Montreal Birth Doula Care
Why hire a doula for your birth?
From the moment you hire your doula, you have unconditional support for your pregnancy. Finally, someone is as excited as you are about your growing family and here to help you navigate through the sometimes overwhelming and confusing world of pregnancy and childbirth.
You’ve likely already found a doctor or midwife who will follow the medical aspects of your pregnancy and your partner or family who knows you best is there to help. But you may feel that something is missing. Choosing a doula to be part of the experience means that you have a trained and certified birth support person during your pregnancy, labour and birth. We specialize in providing non-judgmental, baggage-free advice, support, and coaching so you can experience these milestones in the most positive and confident way possible.
Doulas are not just for natural birth hippie types planning home births. Do you want to have the best possible birth experience, no matter how it unfolds?
Perfect! A doula is for someone just like you!
What Does a Doula Do?
Once you’ve signed on with us, we’re here for you 24/7. You have access to information, resources and support above and beyond what you might have imagined. During your pregnancy you can take advantage of the amazing network of professionals we work with and community events we host and participate in. You can call, e-mail or text your doula whenever you need.
Individual care and attention
Spending quality time together during our prenatal meetings means that we can develop a relationship, discuss a flexible plan for your birth that makes you feel comfortable and prepared, and go over any lingering fears or concerns you might have about your upcoming birth. With experience in the hospitals and birthing centres in Montreal, we can offer guidance and advice on everything from packing your hospital bag to what to expect each step of the way during the labour process.
Dr. Google, The Girlfriend’s Guide to Pregnancy and your Facebook groups aren’t cutting it anymore? You want an experienced and trained doula to meet you where you are with down-to-earth and well researched knowledge and hands-on labour support so you can have a birth you feel good about.
When Do You Call Your Doula?
Time to head to the hospital!
Even if you’re wondering, “Am I really in labour?”, we’re on-call for you at any time and ready to jump out of bed at 3am to join you at your home or hospital. We’ll keep in touch during early labour and when you’re ready to have extra support your doula will be there when you request her. From that moment until the birth of your baby your doula will be there supporting you in whatever way you need.
Hands-On Birth Support
We are there to help you find your strength when you need it, help you communicate with the medical staff, provide guidance and suggestions to ease your pain and focus on your emotional well-being. We truly want you to have a birth you can look back on with pride and happiness! If you have a specific type of birth experience, we offer guidance and support to help you achieve it. Even if your plan is to “go with the flow”, we can help you find the tools to make informed decisions, techniques to cope with labour pain and we can support you in getting ready to welcome your baby in the most confident and joyful way.
Our philosophy about birth is that you should feel confident, supported and encouraged each step of the way. Whether you are preparing for a natural birth, planning on having an epidural, or give birth by cesarean section, we have experience supporting all types of births and can’t wait to hear about what you have in mind for yours!
Follow-Up Visit After Baby Arrives
We don’t disappear after your baby is born. We stay with you until you and your baby are settled in and if you’re choosing to breastfeed we make sure that it’s off to a good start. During your hospital stay we are still available by phone or text for any questions or concerns you might have, and upon your return home we arrange our postpartum follow-up visit. At this visit we can discuss anything that might be on your mind, and make sure that your transition into parenthood is as seamless as possible. You always have the option to arrange for new baby postpartum care, but regardless we continue to be available by phone or e-mail for the first 6 weeks.
Our Doula Packages
Every package comes with reliable and professional doula support each step of the way:
- Access to our client-only resource page and detailed online client intake form. You’ll find additional resources, links, videos and handouts exclusively for our clients.
- Personalized prenatal meetings in the comfort of your home. We will discuss coping with pain, when to go to your place of birth, what to expect and what to bring. We provide information on interventions and their benefits and risks and making an informed choice as well as what to expect with your newborn baby and an in-depth discussion about breastfeeding
- Hands-on support, guidance, and encouragement at your labour and birth until you and your baby are comfortable and settled in
- As a member of the ANQ (Association des Naturotherapeutes du Quebec) we are able to write receipts for insurance purposes. Please check with your insurance company to find out if our doula services are covered.
- Experienced, reliable back-up doula so that you are never left without doula support
- A postpartum visit within a week of the birth. We offer hands-on guidance and assistance with breastfeeding, time to discuss your birth experience along with telephone and e-mail support in the following weeks.
The Ultimate Package
For those who are ready for the complete doula support experience, we’ve included all of our services together so you can feel pampered and cared for every step of the way. If you want to provide your family and your baby with the best doula care possible from start to finish then this package was created specifically for you!
The Baby Bliss Package
If you want complete support during your pregnancy, birth and in the first few weeks after birth then this is the right package for you. A birth doula who will be available to you leading up to your birth, and will be by your side during your labour and delivery. Then, after you return home with your baby, 20 hours of dedicated, professional postpartum support so you can feel rested, confident, and at ease with your new baby and make those first few weeks at home a peaceful and enjoyable time.
This package includes:
- 2 Prenatal meetings to prepare for your unique birth experience
- Unlimited e-mail and phone support
- Doula Support for your birth
- Optional postpartum hospital visit
- 20 hours of Postpartum Doula care
The Essentials Package
For those who want an experienced and knowledgeable doula to support them during pregnancy, birth and postpartum, this package includes prenatal support that prepares you for your birth experience, reliable and trained labour support for your birth and a follow-up after the birth of your baby to make sure you are transitioning as smoothly as possible with your new baby.
This package includes:
- 2 prenatal meetings to prepare for your unique birth experience
- unlimited e-mail and phone support
- doula support at your birth
- 1 postpartum follow-up visit within a week of your baby’s birth
The Birth Only Package
This package is created specifically for women who have given birth before. You’ll benefit most from this package if you know what to expect already, have a clear idea of your needs during labour and your main desire is for an experienced doula to offer hands-on birth support.
This package includes:
- 1 prenatal meeting to discuss your unique wishes
- e-mail and phone support during your pregnancy and ending at 1 week postpartum
- doula support at your birth
We’re the right kind of doula for you if:
- You want someone who will support YOUR wishes for a positive birth experience
- You want down-to-earth, non-judgmental doula care and support every step of the way
- You’re planning a hospital birth and want support in giving birth as naturally as possible
- You want a trained doula with experience working in the Montreal area so you can know exactly what to expect at your place of birth